Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A change for the better

For 20 years, Dora Aquilera, now administrative assistant in the front office of the Recreation Center, was at the center of a high stress legal office in Fort Worth as a legal assistant for a lawyer doing real-estate and probate – what Aquilera now calls “heart issues.”

“Nobody was happy if they had to come into my office,” Aquilera said.

Now, even before you walk into the front office, across from the front entrance to the Recreation Center, you can’t help but smile as you are greeted by a pastel color infused “hoppy spring” sign – complete with a pink bunny – on the door.

As you walk in, you notice a purple basket of pens with colorful egg shaped tops adorned with white sequins, in addition to the purple garland that drapes the main office desk.

This is all part of Aquilera’s goal for workspace, to create a warming atmosphere for students and patrons – something she would have having a hard time establishing in her previous job in the legal filed four years ago.

“Having that warm atmosphere is very important to me,” Aquilera said. “It’s very welcoming to the patrons that come in, some come in every month just to see the new what the new theme is.”

At first, Aquilera had difficulty adjusting to her new job.

“I enjoyed seeing all the young people and the energy they provide, but it was completely overwhelming the first day,” Aquilera said. “The front office handles every transition, administration, and disperses all the information about what’s going on in the Rec. Center, so it was intimidating.”

Aquilera, who describes herself as a very independent person, said one of her biggest struggles had to depend on other people.

“I had worked for the attorney, but I really didn’t have a boss, and then I had to listen to two 20 year-olds about what to do was a little overwhelming,” Aquilera said laughing.

“I pretty much decided I’m going to having to do what I have to do to learn, even if that means depending on other people,” Aquilera said with a look of determination.

While in the legal field, Aquilera was on call to clients 24/7.

“All the clients had my cell phone in case something happened, like if a child was not returned,” Aquilera said.

In her new job, not being on call all the time was an adjustment in and of itself.

“Every time I heard the phone ring I thought it was the office, but no it was my friends – and they weren’t asking for legal advice,” Aquilera said jokingly.

Now, Aquilera is on call on her terms and gives contact information to the students that work with her.

“I make myself available to them afterhours in case there is an emergency, and they understand that they can call on me,” Aquilera said. “I done things such as going with a student to pay off a ticket that he received, and just walking him through that process.”

Aquilera also was able to make more time for her family.

“Come 5 p.m. I leave and I don’t have patrons calling me,” Aquilera said with a relief. “All the sudden, I realized that this time is my time.”

At first, Aquilera did not know what to do with her new found free time.

“I was at a lost, but my daughter was in high school so that took over,” Aquilera said. “Spending time with her and knowing that if we wanted to go somewhere we would have interrupted time was a big adjustment.”

While Aguilera has had to adjust her lifestyle in many ways, Aguilera said it has been a change well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment